In 2010 I started a blog called Blogging with Amy where I began teaching people how to blog and shared blogging tips, tools and tutorials. That blog got a little unwieldy so I made some changes. I moved everything here instead.
The best thing I did
First, I started an email
newsletter useletter filled with exclusive tips, cool things I find on the internet and behind-the-scenes peeks of my own business. It serves as a one-stop roundup of everything I do online. If you’d like to save time, I highly recommend subscribing.
Our out-of-the-box life
The truth is, cheesy as it sounds, the internet has changed our lives. We used to be a 9 to 5, single income family. Now, we each work part time doing things we love, we make significantly more income, we are educating our children tag-team style (using a lot of the very cool resources we find online) and we hope to move internationally someday.
Who this site is for
This site is for the ones who want to call their own shots. The ones who want to live differently. The busy ones. The ones with expensive taste without the funds to match. The ones who want a family-friendly approach to streamlining life. The ones who want to live audaciously, but aren’t sure where to start.
67 random things about me
- Call me Amy (but I’ll answer to Amy Lynn too).
- People always ask me how I make money blogging.
- I was born in 1975. In Africa.
- I’m a ninja of the “finding really cool stuff online” variety.
- I always do this to my ChapStick®. I don’t know why.
- I had a brother who died of SIDS when I was three. For years I thought it was my fault.
- I wrote a really short book about time management once. You have NO IDEA how long it took me.
- My husband is African American. He has freckles. Someone once asked him if he’s Irish.
- I love the ocean. Also lots of tall trees, autumn leaves and streams.
- I don’t like to cook, craft or crochet. Or anything else that starts with c in the domestic category.
- I played the flute for 8 years.
- I skipped Kindergarten. Too smart. (Notice I didn’t skip any other grades.)
- I studied abroad in Israel but came home after one too many close calls with terrorist bombings.
- I’m the mother of four.
- I love a good hymn every now and then. It is Well with My Soul is my favorite.
- I drive an SUV but I’d actually prefer a minivan.
- I’m a couponing dropout.
- I’ve lived in 5 different countries.
- I’ve attempted to learn 5 different languages. I only remember one. English.
- I had very bad acne for 4 years in college.
- I eat junk food regularly.
- I think public school teachers are the biggest unsung heroes in America.
- I used to bite my nails. Now I only bite the skin around them.
- I gained 40 pounds when I was pregnant. All four times.
- I run, but not because I like it (see above).
- I am moved to tears whenever I hear the pipe organ. I’m not sure why.
- My decorating prowess ends at painting a wall.
- I have a B.A. in Sociology and half a Master’s in Marriage and Family Therapy.
- I’ve decided not to finish my Master’s degree. Too many other things I want to do.
- I love tulips.
- I am a reluctant homeschooler.
- Potatoes are my favorite food. Especially french fries and mashed.
- I’ve moved 27 times in my life. Literally.
- I’m 6’2″. My inseam is 37″.
- I played basketball. I also played volleyball, tennis & softball and I ran track. Not because I was good but because I was tall (see previous).
- I graduated from high school in a class of 19. In Africa.
- I had a horse when I was 14. Her name was Flicka.
- I almost hit a giraffe while learning to drive.
- My favorite color is blue.
- I had a horrible case of claustrophobia while crawling through one of the Pyramids at Giza in Egypt once.
- I usually order a chicken sandwich when I go out to eat.
- I’m picky. Maddeningly so. Maddening even to myself. But not about food.
- My parents are missionaries.
- I have peanut butter and jelly on toast almost every morning for breakfast.
- I’ve ridden a camel twice. It was uncomfortable both times.
- I turned down a book deal once. And I’m glad I did.
- I like candy.
- I’m a reluctant homeschooler. Did I say that already?
- I am a Christ-follower.
- When I talk about Christ, this is what I intend: “Oh my stars, He is amazing and you will not believe what He did!”
- When I talk about Christ, this is not what I intend: “Oh my stars, if you don’t follow Him, I don’t like you and I can’t be your friend!”
- My husband and I got married in 1997.
- I sometimes use the TV as a babysitter. I admit it.
- I don’t have a favorite movie.
- I like killing a lot of birds with one stone. I’m all about efficiency.
- I used to have panic attacks. I wouldn’t wish those on my worst enemy.
- I have expensive taste. Unfortunately, I don’t have the funds to match.
- My favorite book of the Bible is James.
- I’m good at starting things.
- I’m horrible at finishing things. (Notice this list does not have 101 items as I intended.)
- I love ice cream. (Hey, did you know blogging is like ice cream?)
- I’m a people pleaser. Unfortunately.
- I get exceptionally crabby when I’m tired.
- Sometimes I tell my kids I love them so much I could “squeeze their guts right out.”
- I worry way too much about what other people think.
- I currently live in Texas and continually ask myself How did THAT happen? But I like it. Plus, I like open space and there’s lots of it here.
- I do not like writing. I prefer blogging (the not-writing part).