Favicons are the small images representing websites around the web.
Many, many sites (very popular ones too!) still do not have customized favicons. It’s a small way to help with your branding and give your site a more professional and cohesive feel.
One of the most common places you see favicons is in your browser tabs. In this image, you’ll see my customized favicon and you’ll also see the default Genesis favicon.
1. Create your favicon
A favicon is simply an image that’s 16px by 16px. Once you create your image, you’ll need to save it as favicon.ico. If it doesn’t have the .ico extension, it will not work. To change the file name, simply rename your image from, say, favicon.jpg to favicon.ico. You can do this by right-clicking on the image name on your computer. You could also open your favicon.jpg file and then “Save as” favicon.ico.
2. Access your File Manager in Bluehost
Simply login to your cpanel and click on the “File Manager” icon.
Navigate to your Genesis child theme
When accessing your File Manager you may see a popup. If so, just choose Web Root.
Upload your favicon to your Genesis images folder and your child theme images folder.
After your root directory opens, click on the wp-content folder–> themes –> genesis –> images. Next, highlight the favicon.ico file by clicking on it once. Then click Upload icon in the top bar. When prompted, replace the file with your new favicon.ico file.
Now do the same for your child theme. You will double click wp-content –> themes –> [child theme] –> images. Repeat the upload process.
Sometimes it takes a few hours for it to show up.
Other posts in this series
- How to Start a Blog
- How to Login to WordPress
- What are Permalinks and How to Choose Them
- How to Change An Admin User and Why It's Important
- Important Settings to Configure in WordPress
- 10 Blog Design Dos & Don'ts
- How to Choose a WordPress Theme (and What I Use)
- What is a Child Theme?
- How to Install a WordPress Theme
- How to Make Your Site Static (Not a Blog)
- How to Make and Install a Favicon
- How to Write a Killer About Page
- How to Write a Post in WordPress
- Designers I Recommend
- My Top Affiliate Marketing Tips
- How Much Do Bloggers Make?
- Why You Should Be Part of a Mastermind Group
- 7 Tips for Commenting on Blogs
- Are You Disclosing Properly in Your Posts?
- How to Install Plugins
- How to Decide What to Blog About
- What is SEO? (And Why It Matters)
- 7 SEO Tips
- How to Create a Call to Action
- Tips for Using Images on Your Blog
- Anatomy of a Good Blog Post
- My Top Facebook Tips
- My Top Twitter Tips
- My Top Writing Tips
- My Top Branding Tips