How to Use FTP

I told you how to access your file manager to upload a single file, but sometimes you need to upload many files at once. To do this, you’ll need to know how to use FTP (File Transfer Protocol).

For some reason, the term “FTP” strikes fear into many, but as you’ll see, once you’ve got an FTP client set up, it’s simple. (And the process of getting an FTP client isn’t a big deal either.)

As I mentioned in How to Set Up Hosting and WordPress, one of the reasons I like Bluehost is because there’s an FTP client (Unlimited FTP) right in my cPanel. If you don’t have this option, you will have to get yourself an FTP client (again, not a big deal).

There are many free FTP clients available. Filezilla is a popular choice (here are some others as well). Simply download the client and follow the instructions for setup.

Regardless of which FTP client you use, the process should look and feel very similar to what I outline below. Basically, FTP lets you see the files on your computer and your server simultaneously. Then you can just drag and drop them from one to the other. I highly recommend becoming familiar with FTP as it is another one of those really-helpful-to-have skills.

How to Access Unlimited FTP (Bluehost only)

1. Login to your cPanel at Bluehost.

bluehost cpanel

2. Scroll down until you find the “Unlimited FTP” icon. (Again, note that this a built-in feature for Bluehost only. If you use HostGator, you will have to use an FTP client like Filezilla to do this then skip to the next step.)

unlimted ftp bluehost

3. This is where all FTP clients look and function basically the same. A side-by-side screen will appear with your computer files on the left and your server files on the right. Files you create and save are on the left (your computer) and navigating this list is just like navigating your Finder. Your main self-hosted WordPress files (on your server at Bluehost or HostGator) can be found in the public_html folder on the right side of the screen. If you don’t see the public_html folder, click on the computer icon at the top of the window until some folders drop down. Remember, your navigating these windows just as though you were trying to find something on your computer. So, you may have to drill down some.

ftp screen

4. Transferring files is simply a matter of:

• Selecting the folder/file you want to transfer from on one side.
  • Highlighting the location you want that folder/file to go into on the other side.
  • Clicking the respective arrow, depending on whether your folder/files are being transferred from your computer to your server or vice versa.

Disclosure: There are affiliate links in this post.

Do you get The Useletter™?

Comments

1. Renee says

I’m REALLY new to this stuff- I have a blogger blog (not my own website but, through blogger) and want to creat a button- before I download FileZilla- do I need my own server (I’m not altogether sure what that term means either- REALLY new ;) ) Thanks inadvance for your help!

• says

Renee, it works a little differently on Blogger since you’re using their servers. You don’t need your own server, you just have to upload your image to an online photo gallery site like Photobucket. I think you could upload to Picasa as well. This tutorial might help.

2. Yuliya says

Hi Amy,
    First of all, thanks A LOT for valuable information you are sharing! I’m in the middle of creating my first professional blog from scratch and I’m so happy I came across your blog. It makes much life much easier. :)

There is one thing that I was looking for in your blog, but didn’t find. So, i’ll ask here (not sure whether this question is related to this topic or not).

Do you use any local severs to create blog and then upload it to hosting? Or do you update your blog online via WordPress installed on hosting?
    I’ve bought a hosting & installed WordPress there. And then I also have a local server and Installed WordPress there and now I’m totally confused if I should install plugins and do updates on my local host or it’s better to work directly on hosting?
    If I work directly, then does it mean that everybody can see my temporary ugly pages in progress? Can I hide them somehow?
    If I work only on local sever how do I transfer everything to hosing? That seems to be so complicated. Do you have any suggestions?
    sorry for so many questions, actually you don’t need to answer all. Maybe you can just suggest if it’s better to work on local server or online?

• says

I do everything via Bluehost. If you call or live chat with them, they can tell you how to set up a temporary URL and you can also set your site to Maintenance Mode so others won’t see what you’re working on. Here’s my tutorial on that. Hope that helps!

• Yuliya says

Hi Amy, thank you. Yesterday I tried to work via Bluehost and it actually works faster than via localhost. So, I will continue this way. And I also figured out how to hide website in progress – I’ve got Elegant themes “anticipating” plugin. :) But your post about maintenance mode is very useful, I didn’t know you can set that up.

3. Christina says

Wow, I am so frustrated I could almost cry.
    First, I already have a blog at blogger and I’m trying to build the new with WordPress before I switch. So, I think my Bluehost is using a temporary URL (I haven’t been sure of anything since purchasing the hosting).
    I have built my Blogger blog from scratch, learning HTML and CSS to do it and I loved every second of it. I want to do that again with Twenty Twelve, so I watched your video on creating a child theme.
    But when I open Unlimited FTP in the cPanel, there is nothing on the right side as in your screenshot. And the options that would be there are grayed out.
    When I try to do anything it says “Please connect to the FTP server.” And it doesn’t tell me how. Anywhere.
    I’m just at the end of my rope trying to figure this mess out. I can borrow the money to purchase Genesis and Prose if it will save me from having to figure out all the FTP junk. Please tell me it will.

• says

Oh Christina, I’m so sorry you’re frustrated. I’ve certainly been there.

It’s hard to know exactly what you’re seeing, but when you mention that you don’t see the options on the right side, it makes me think you need to drill down into the folders a bit more. What I would suggest is to call Bluehost directly. You can speak to a real live person who will walk you through. Of course they have access to your server, so they will know how to direct you. I have always found them to be patient and helpful. I’ve spend a lot of time with them! I hope that helps get you started.

4. says

Hi, Thanks so much for all your advice and tutorials!! I downloaded a theme, but it doesn’t appear to have a zip file. How do I zip the theme? And if I use FTP, do I use the archives.php? Is there a way to know if it uploaded incorrectly or is working properly? THANKS

• says

You don’t need to zip it if you upload it via FTP. If it’s in a folder already, just go to wp-content –> themes –> and then find the list of folders with other theme names (you should at least have a folder names TwentyTwelve or TwentyEleven). Just put the folder for your theme there. I hope that makes sense!

5. Madonna says

Your photo/link is broken. I am interested in learning this. I use bluehost and wordpress and I need to learn everything I can. Also, is there a reason to load a theme at the cpanel/ftp as opposed to the dashboard?

6. says

Hey Amy,

First of all, I went through the Bluehost link here so just wanted to let you know.
    Thanks to the priceless info that you have given out here, I now have my website up and running. Of course, I keep coming back to check this and that everyday, and I learn something nw everytime.
    I’m still trying to make a lot of changes (homepage banner being no 1 in them) and hopefully I should be able to get somewhere soon.
    Thank you so much for all the valuabel info you share with us, I couldn’t have done it had I not happened to come across your site.
    Please visit my website whenever you get a chance.

7. HappyStacyA says

Hi Amy! I’m having trouble using FileZilla and am praying you can help. :) Everything is showing up on my left screen side, but nothing is showing up on my right–instead it says “not connected to any server.” At the top of the page there are spaces to type in host, username, password, and port. I’ve tried putting my website as my host–is that right? And which username and password am I to use here? Hostgator? WordPress? I’m ready to use Feedsmith and kinda bummin’ about this snag.

• says

FTP Host/Address: (your ip address or domain name)
      FTP User: (cPanel/FTP user name)
      FTP Password: (cPanel/FTP password)
      Port: 21
      Path/directory: (blank*)

Hope this helps Stacy

• Ashley says

Never mind…found a youtube video on it. :) Thank you so much…I can’t tell you how helpful your blog is. I’ve been wanting to set up a WordPress account for a while and kept hitting road blocks and would just give up out of frustration Now I’m starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel! Even though it’s still a ways away…. :)

• Amy says

Glad you figured it out! Yes, Unlimited FTP is an advantage of Bluehost but you can use an FTP client (like Filezilla) which I mentioned in the post.