I started a hobby blog a gazillion blog years ago (2004). I surprised my non-technical self when I discovered I enjoyed the technical aspects of blogging a lot more than the writing part. After several years and many desperate questions from other non-technical types, I began teaching others how to start a blog. In plain English.
Who runs this place anyway?
Hi, I’m Amy. Every single post on this site has been written by me.
Why I stopped (sort of) blogging
A few years ago I strayed from the normal blogging path, stopped posting regularly as most do, and switched most of my writing to newsletter format. Why? Because ironically, a traditional blog format isn’t always the best way to keep my readers informed.
Our out-of-the-box life
The truth is (cheesy as it sounds), the internet has changed our lives. We used to be a 9 to 5, in-debt, single income family, and neither of us loved our days.
Now, we both work, doing what we love, with flexible schedules. We make significantly more income, our children go to school two days a week instead of five, and maybe we’ll move internationally someday. Our life’s motto? Live nimbly. Here’s what that means.
Who this site is for
This site is for the ones who want to call their own shots. The ones who want to live differently. The busy ones. The ones with expensive taste without the funds to match. The ones who want a family-friendly approach to streamlining life. The ones who want to live on their own terms, but aren’t sure where to start.
- If you want to learn how to start your own blog, go here.
- If you want to keep up with what’s current in the online space, sign up for the Useletter.
- If you want to browse through my free tutorials and get an overview of my posts, go to my Contents page.
58 random things about me
- Call me Amy (but I’ll answer to Amy Lynn too).
- People always ask me how I make money blogging.
- I was born in 1975. In Africa.
- I’m a ninja of the “finding really cool stuff online” variety.
- I always do this to my ChapStick. I don’t know why.
- I had a brother who died of SIDS when I was three. For years I thought it was my fault.
- I wrote a really short book about time management. You have NO IDEA how long it took me.
- My husband is African American. He has freckles. Someone once asked him if he’s Irish.
- I’ve always wanted to be a spy. I’d make a horrible spy though. I’m too emotional and I startle easily.
- One time, we paid off $25,000 in less than 2 years making $40,000 a year. (Here’s how we did it.)
- I don’t like to cook, craft or crochet. Or anything else that starts with c in the domestic category.
- I played the flute for 8 years.
- I skipped Kindergarten. Too smart. (Notice I didn’t skip any other grades.)
- I’m the mother of four. I feel like a failure regularly.
- I drive an SUV but I think I might be a minivan girl at heart.
- I’m a couponing dropout.
- I’ve lived in 5 different countries.
- I’ve attempted to learn 5 different languages. I only remember one. English.
- I had very bad acne for 4 years in college.
- I think public school teachers are the biggest unsung heroes in America.
- I used to bite my nails. Now I only bite the skin around them.
- I gained 40 pounds when I was pregnant. All four times.
- I like candy.
- I exercise, but not because I like it (see previous two).
- I am moved to tears whenever I hear the pipe organ. I’m not sure why.
- My decorating prowess ends at painting a wall.
- I have half a Master’s degree in Marriage and Family Therapy.
- I’ve decided not to finish my Master’s degree. Too many other things I want to do.
- I love tulips.
- I much prefer parenting teenagers than toddlers.
- Potatoes are my favorite food. Especially mashed.
- I’ve moved 27 times in my life. Literally. The silver lining is that I totally know how to pick a house.
- I’m 6’2″. My inseam is 37″.
- I played basketball. I also played volleyball, tennis & softball and I ran track. Not because I was good but because people make you do such things when you’re tall.
- I graduated from high school in a class of 19. In Africa.
- I had a horse when I was 14. Her name was Flicka.
- I almost hit a giraffe while learning to drive.
- My favorite color is blue. I like white too.
- I had a horrible case of claustrophobia while crawling through one of the Pyramids at Giza in Egypt once.
- I usually order a chicken sandwich when I go out to eat.
- I’m picky. Maddeningly so. Maddening even to myself. But not about food.
- I hit my rock bottom in 2007.
- I’ve ridden a camel twice. It was uncomfortable both times.
- I turned down a book deal once and I’m glad I did. Now I’m a huge fan of self publishing.
- My husband and I got married in 1997.
- I sometimes use the TV as a babysitter.
- I don’t have a favorite movie.
- I’m all about efficiency. I like killing two (preferably more) birds with one stone. Except now my kids tell me I’m not allowed to say that. Instead I’m supposed to say feed two birds with one scone. (Is that true?)
- I used to have panic attacks. I wouldn’t wish those on anyone.
- I have expensive taste. I don’t have the funds to match.
- I’m good at starting things.
- I’m horrible at finishing things. (Notice this list does not have 101 items as I intended.)
- I love ice cream.
- I get exceptionally crabby when I’m tired.
- Sometimes I tell my kids I love them so much I could “squeeze their guts right out.”
- I worry way too much about what other people think.
- I currently live in Texas and continually ask myself How did THAT happen? But I like it. Plus, I like open space and there’s lots of it here.
- I do not like writing. I prefer blogging (the not-writing part).
Around the web
- The Art of Simple: My Top 20 Work Tools
- Chrystal’s Chronicles Podcast 205: Making Time For What You Love
- Problogger: Keep it Simple – How to Stand out in a Crowded Blogosphere
- Food Blogger Pro Podcast 021: How to Manage Your Schedule So You Can Live Free with Amy Lynn Andrews
- Brilliant Business Moms Podcast 050: E-books on Amazon and Guest Posting with Amy Lynn Andrews
- Social Media Examiner: Getting Started With Blogging: 16 Resources to Boost Your Blog
Want to write your own About page?
Check out my post, How to Write an About Page.