Updated March 27, 2019
Email templates are a huge time saver if you find yourself writing the same email(s) over and over again. If you use Gmail, they are easy to set up and use.
Maybe you get asked the same question a lot. Maybe you have a standard answer for people seeking your advice or service. Put simply, an email template is a snippet of text you find yourself repeating over and over again.
Google’s version of email templates are called canned responses. They allow you to insert any text into an email with a few clicks.
Enable Canned Responses
In order to use this feature in Gmail, you must enable it first in Gmail > Settings > Advanced. Click the “Enable” button and save your changes at the bottom of the page.
How to create a canned response
To get started, you need to first create and save a canned response so you can use it later. To do so:
1. Compose a new email in Gmail. Hit the Compose button. You won’t be sending it, so you can leave the To, From & Subject lines blank.
2. Type the canned response in the body of the new email. This is the snippet you find yourself repeating all the time.
3. Remove your email signature, especially if it is automatically inserted. If you don’t, it will be saved as part of your canned response. Then, when you insert the snippet in a future email, it might produce a double email signature (the one in the canned response + the one that will automatically be inserted into your new email).
4. Save the canned response. Click the three dots in the right corner > Canned responses > Save draft as template. Name it so you’ll know what it is when you are ready to use it.
5. Delete the draft email. Once you saved it as a canned response, you can delete the email by clicking the trash bin icon in the bottom right.
How to use a canned response
You can use a canned response in a reply email or a new email.
Put your cursor in the spot you want your canned response text to appear within the email. Click the three dots in the bottom right corner > Canned responses. Find the canned response you want to use in the “Insert Template” section of the popup window. The canned response will appear in your email.
Personalize the email by adding a greeting, salutation and/or any other vital information that makes the recipient feel special.