Email templates are a huge time saver if you find yourself writing the same email(s) over and over again. If you use Gmail, they are easy to set up.
In this tutorial, I explain how to create a canned response in Gmail. Canned responses is what Gmail calls email templates. They allow you to insert any text into an email with a few clicks. Here’s what I mean:
Can’t see the video? Watch it here.
Step 1: Prepare to use Gmail’s Canned Responses
- While in Gmail, click on the gear icon in the top right corner under your picture. You’ll see a dropdown menu. Click on “Settings.”
- Click on the “Labs” tab at the top of your screen.
- Scroll down until you see “Canned Responses” by Chad P. Click the “Enable” button next to it.
- Click the “Save Changes” button at the top or bottom of the page.
Step 2: How to create a Canned Response
Now that the Lab is enabled, you’re ready to use the canned responses feature.
- Click the red “Compose” button to open a new email.
- Don’t worry about filling out To, From, Subject. Simply put your cursor into the body of the email and type the sentence or paragraph(s) you find yourself typing repeatedly and want to save as a template.
- Remove your signature (if one was automatically inserted it for you). Tip: A Gmail signature is a handy feature. Here’s how to create your own if you don’t have one already.
- Save your canned response by clicking the down arrow (More Options) in the bottom right of your New Message screen to the right of the trash bin icon. You’ll see a menu. Hover over “Canned Responses” until you see the new menu.
- Navigate to the “Save” section and click “New canned response…”
- Name your canned response with something descriptive so you’ll know what it is when you are ready to use it.
- Close and delete this message.
Step 3: How to use a Canned Response
- When you are ready to use a canned response, begin your email by responding to someone else’s or creating a new one.
- Simply insert your cursor in the spot you want your canned response text to appear within the email.
- Click on the down arrow (“More Options”) in the bottom right of your message window, just as you did above.
- Hover over “Canned Responses” and wait for the menu to appear. Find your canned response under the “Insert” section and click. The canned response will appear in your email.
- Personalize the email by adding a greeting, salutation and/or any other vital information that makes the recipient feel special.