When someone asks me how they can make money online, I ask a few questions first. You see, there are many ways to make money online (a good thing because…options!) so there’s not a one-size-fits-all answer. Let’s figure out the right path for you.
I start by asking 3 questions:
- Do you want to work for yourself OR for someone else?
- Do you want to make extra spending money OR a part-time / full-time income?
- Do you need the money within a few months OR can you wait a year or two?
The most popular response is:
- For myself
- Part-time / full-time income
- Within a few months
Here’s the thing. This is an unrealistic expectation.
I know. It’s a bit deflating. (It gets better though, so stick with me!) I wish it was different, but that’s the truth. Be wary of anyone who tells you otherwise.
I’ve been making money online and teaching others the same for many years. It’s absolutely possible! But it takes time.
You have to see this endeavor for what it is — a business. Just like any business, starting and earning a profit doesn’t happen within a few months.
So what is a realistic expectation?
Well, how did you answer the first question above?
For those who want to work for themselves, it usually takes at least a year to make a consistent part-time income. Plan on 18-24 months to make a consistent, full-time income.
For those who want to work for someone else though, the timeline is different. You could start making money much sooner.
Let’s dig deeper…
Do you want to work for yourself OR for someone else?
In other words, do you want to be self-employed or do you want to be an employee?
This is a key question because the paths are different. Both have advantages and disadvantages.
Work for someone else
Working for someone else as an employee often gets a bad rap, but it’s a great fit for many! (Clock in, clock out, get paid. No added responsibilities. No anxiety about keeping a business afloat.) If this is you, your best bet is to look for companies that allow their employees to work remotely.
Virtual assistance is a good option with flexibility. I’ve listed a few companies that hire virtual assistants in this post. Or, visit the websites of the companies on this list and look at their Jobs or Careers pages for openings. (The list comes from a site that charges a fee. That’s why I would go directly to the company websites first. It might take a bit more hunting, but it would be worth it if you can avoid the fee.)
Work for yourself
If you want to work for yourself, read on. This site is for you.
Whatever you call it — entrepreneur, freelancer, online business owner — it’s a great time to be self-employed!
Alright, if you’re still reading, I’m making 3 assumptions about you:
- You want to work for yourself. You want the freedom and flexibility of self-employment. You don’t mind the added responsibility of being the boss.
- You want to make a part-time or full-time income. You understand this will be hard work, like building any profitable business.
- You don’t need the income soon. You’re in this for the long haul. You have another source of income for the next 12+ months until this side hustle starts earning income of its own.
Now that we’re on the same page, let’s talk about content marketing. Of all the ways people make money online today, it’s the best strategy.