June 14, 2019
Want to tap into Facebook’s huge audience without paying tons of money for ads? With over 2 billion monthly active users (source), Facebook has a sea of potential customers for anyone making money online. We all know Facebook organic reach has declined the last 5 years (source) but some people still get impressive organic reach, supplemented with just a little in ads.
There are affiliate links in this post, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I will be compensated if you click through and take action. My full disclosure policy is here.
My go-to Facebook resource
Do you have a go-to Facebook guru or resource? Recently, mine has become Rachel Miller. I bought her course, Grow Your Audience (formerly FB Page Strategies, a.k.a. Moolah Marketing) last year for two reasons:
- I was hearing a lot of buzz. I’ve spent the last 10 years following blogging and social media. I’m particularly interested in how people make money online. I wanted to see if the buzz was warranted.
- I wanted to vet the course for my readers. I’m often asked by readers for my opinion about different products and services. I’m not comfortable recommending something I don’t have personal experience with. So, when I see a product making a stir, I usually buy it myself and work my way through. I want my readers to know I’m speaking from a paying customer’s perspective. (You should know, when I review courses like this, I do not personally implement all the strategies in my own business. This is mainly because I already have a rhythm that is working for me.)
My opinion, in summary
Grow Your Audience is legit. It is packed with information, much of which I have not heard elsewhere. For online (and offline) business owners / bloggers who take it seriously, it will significantly impact reach, and more importantly, revenue.
However, I would not recommend it to everyone. Let’s start with some quick background…
What is Grow Your Audience?
Grow Your Audience is all about Facebook strategy for online (and brick & mortar) business owners, to reach more customers and ultimately, to increase revenue.
Unlike a lot of Facebook resources available, heavy emphasis is placed on organic growth boosted by small ad spend, instead of the other way around.
When is it available?
Twice a year, for about a week each time. It will open again in late June 2019. Be notified when it opens. Get on the waiting list here.
Who created Grow Your Audience and do they have credentials?
Rachel Miller, and yes, she has credentials.
Rachel is responsible for growing several successful Facebook Pages, the largest of which is Quirky Momma. Quirky Momma has almost 3.5 million Likes as of today. Rachel is no longer working on the QM Page but was a driving force until it reached over 2 million Likes.
How much does it cost?
$1000-ish. (That’s what it was last time. I will update this figure when I know the June 2019 price.)
Is it worth it?
For some. I don’t say that lightly. I am not a fan of the pricey courses we are seeing these days. A thousand dollars is a TON of money, but I’m pretty confident the course will pay for itself for its ideal student.
Who is Grow your Audience best for?
Consider buying Grow Your Audience if you can check off the following:
- Your target audience spends a lot of time on Facebook.
- It’s in your time budget. It will take about 6 weeks to go through. Treat this like a college course. Dive headfirst into the content. Implement it. Forsake all other social media platforms (except for a cursory glance perhaps) in the meantime.
- It’s in your money budget. That is, you can pay for the course + at least $5 a day on Facebook Ads for 6-8 weeks.
- You have tried everything you know to do on Facebook but have hit a wall.
- You aren’t married to automated tools for posting, like Buffer or Hootsuite. You’ll be posting manually here.
- You don’t have a backlog of other courses you’re trying to work through at the same time. If you do, pass for now. Catch it the next time around. It’ll likely be updated by then.
What does Grow Your Audience include?
It covers topics ranging from your bumper sticker (such a helpful concept for me, not just for Facebook!), finding fans, your niche neighborhood, how & when to use the various post types, planning your content, virals, viral funneling, Lives, Groups, Messenger and Ads.
The course is divided into modules with several lessons in each. Each lesson is taught via video. Most lessons include a printable transcript and extra resources such as printable templates, swipe copy, videos on a related topic, etc.
Also, a private Facebook Group for students is available. Highly recommended.
Does Grow Your Audience work?
Yes. People are absolutely seeing results. You’ll find a few success stories on the main page. Also, Rachel frequently posts success stories, often with screenshots or interviews in the Facebook Group.
Many students have made it to the “7 figure club” which indicates a post reached over a million people. A few have even made it to the “8 figure club.”
In addition, a search of #moolahwin in the FB Group returns a lot of smaller (or huge) successes students have achieved.
Depth of knowledge & experience. The amount of information Rachel understands about Facebook blows my mind. I simply have not encountered her level of expertise elsewhere.
Success stories. The strategies learned in the course no doubt work. As I said, search #moolahwin in the Facebook Group and you’ll see see many successes. As always, you have to do the work first.
Success stories in a wide range of niches. It’s the most niche-diverse bunch I’ve been a part of to date. Rachel says this works in any niche. I’m starting to believe her.
The Facebook Group. The course itself will give you the framework and foundation, but you’ll get so much more in the FB Group. Do not skip it!
Rachel’s enthusiasm. Rachel and I are very different in style and personality but I’d do well to have a fraction of her enthusiasm for social media. She is high energy, fun, real, not afraid to try stuff and quick to pivot. Rachel is the opposite of monotonous or boring.
Love of the “little guy.” Rachel is extremely down to earth and remains mindful of those who don’t have a huge budget for incidental costs, slick systems or costly ads. Refreshing! Somehow she makes huge results possible for the “little guys.”
Tons of access to Rachel. She might actually live in the Facebook Group. She’s constantly in there, answering questions, posting impromptu videos, addressing Facebook changes and holding Q&As or AMAs (Ask Me Anythings).
Changes are addressed. Facebook changes constantly. While the pre-recorded course content is only updated once a year or so, Rachel is very proactive in the FB Group about addressing the changes as they come up. I appreciate this.
More than Facebook info. Rachel has a lot of connections online. She frequently interviews them in the FB Group, oftentimes on business topics that go way beyond the scope of Facebook. I’ve been really pleasantly surprised by this unexpected bonus.
Cost. Like I mentioned above, it’s a lot of money. Be really sure you’re the ideal student (see above) so you get your money’s worth.
Drinking from a firehose. The information in this course, and especially in the FB Group, comes at you fast and furious. If you are easily paralyzed by overwhelm, you’ll have to work hard to connect the dots and keep moving forward.
Lack of organization. The course itself is organized in modules and lessons. However, the information outside the videos is less so. I’m the type that (a) gets stressed out by social media in general and (b) doesn’t like to miss anything, so the lack of organization has been a minor source of anxiety for me. If you don’t get tripped up in the same way, you’ll probably be fine!
Outdated content. I feel compelled to list this con in every review I write simply because informational products about social media are bound to become outdated. Social media changes too fast. Having said that, I know Rachel aims to update the course yearly. Still, within that year, it’s very possible one might encounter outdated information. One way to combat this is to keep up with the FB Group!
Want to get a taste?
I recommend these two free ways to get a feel for Rachel’s knowledge and teaching style:
- Audience Building Workshop. A 6-part video series starting June 17, 2019.
- The FREE FB Group. This is for non-members but still has a ton of great info. Search #moolahwin for successes. Watch the videos for great advice from Rachel.
Given the information you’ll receive and the expertise you’ll have access to, Grow Your Audience is a solid course. However, before you take the plunge (remember, high price tag!), make sure your goals and your target audience make it a good fit. For more, check out the main page here.