I used to have a blog on this site with tips, tools and tutorials about blogging. After 10 years, lots of trial and error, an entirely different blogging landscape, and the knowledge you’re better served if I send you to experts for things I don’t expert in myself (most things), I’ve compiled this list of my top picks.
These are not random. I have personally paid for (unless free or noted) and use (now or when it was applicable) everything. Many of the links are my affiliate links through which I’m compensated. Disclaimer.
Those with an asterisk (*) have Black Friday 2020 deals.
Courses, memberships & learning
- *Make money blogging – Project 24
- Get traffic & followers – Grow Your Audience
- Make a living writing – Self Publishing 101
- Pinterest – Simple Pin Collective
- Favorite business books – My list
- *Hosting (what I use, kinda techie) – Cloudways / Digital Ocean. (Black Friday Coupon: BFCM2020)
- *Hosting (for newbies) – Bluehost. Want step-by-step help? My tutorial.
- Hosting (when you outgrow Bluehost and aren’t techie) – Kinsta. A close second is *WP Engine which comes with Genesis themes.
- *Themes – GeneratePress, *Kadence or *Astra
- *Site speed – WP Rocket plugin
- Spam blocker – Antispam Bee plugin
Where I get…
- Email service – Mad Mimi (I’m grandfathered in at an unbeatable price) but if I was starting today, I’d use ConvertKit (I’ve used the free trial only).
- *Images – Depositphotos (Black Friday: Use the AppSumo deal to get over 50% off!)
- *Fonts – DesignCuts
- Mockups – PlaceIt (ex. my book page). (I’ve only used the free templates.)
- Other design elements – CreativeMarket (ex. Canva templates, icons and slides)
- *Domains – Namecheap
- Privacy / Disclaimer / Terms templates – Plug and Law
- Hosting for my one-page website – Carrd
- Healthcare – CHM
- LLC filing – Nolo
Productivity & workflow
- Organizing content & affiliate links – Airtable
- *Editing video & recording screencasts – ScreenFlow (Mac only)
- Create graphics – Canva
- Following blogs, podcasts & YouTube channels – Feedly
- Saving notes and snippets – Evernote
- Writing outlines or lists – WorkFlowy
- Writing long form – Ulysses (Mac only)
- Text expander – TypeIt4Me
- Tech gear – My list
- Digital products (one-page, skip the funnels!) – SamCart
- Digital products (if you have multiple) – Podia (I’ve only used the free trial)
- Digital products from own site (cheap & very basic) – SendOwl
- Physical products – Shopify